Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Sherman Avenue Proposal

This photograph was taken in Indianapolis some 4 to 5 years back.  If memory serves, it was freezing cold and I was randomly approached by this guy who claimed to be an agent for local east side rappers who then asked if I could take his promo photos for the clients he represents.  He then proceeds to state in a roundabout way  that he can't really compensate me with currency per se, but the exposure he could provide, would make 'famous' in his scene.  Annoyed, I proclaimed that while I may take photos under a bridge, I don't conduct business under them and handed him my card.  He never called.

This phenomenon is a very old story.  I only freelance part time and have a different stream of regular  income, but artists of any kind are frequently propositioned in ways that relate much to panhandling.  Although the man in this story is not of the highers classes, but this is indeed how wealthy people beg.  Some upper class organization will offer you publicity, exposure, and a chance to socialize with them and all you have to do is hand over your hard work that keeps you sustained.

No comments: