Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Urban Photographer's Blues

What can I say, I've got the urban photographer's Blues... It was a nicely lit day for photos, and I was out on the prowl with my camera to get a great shot. There it was, I found it! It was a historic art deco subway station in Park Slope, Brooklyn. I begin to shoot it, and this fellow, whom resembled Jodie Foster's pimp in the film Taxi Driver (played by Harvey Keitel) stepped into my shot and began to swear and perform obscene gestures at yours truly. See attached photo for said crazy dude...

You may ask, what does it matter what some random, wild-eyed dude thats five days off his haloperidol says anyway? In isolated incident form, nothing at all, but this happens to me all the time...Regardless of the location, both civilians and members of law enforcement alike. So all of my ranting boils down to this very question: what is it about a photographer that seems to invoke the most basic paranoid instincts in people? Its obvious I'm not some sleazy paparazzi photog shoving a gigantic zoom lens in some has-been celebrity's face, nor am I some voyeur sporting an erection clicking away in the bushes. Regardless, people will dive out of the way of a camera as if the shutter will rob them of their very soul...Interesting

Best if the crazy dude is viewed large...

No comments: