Sunday, May 17, 2009

On South Rural Street



This neighborhood is a classic Indianapolis urban neighborhood with many diverse characteristics similar to most neighborhoods around Indy...Well maintained homes, blighted homes, commercial space, and industrial sites are the composition of the fabric.














I know I feature many of these old underpasses on this blog, but they're so cool!




This is what awaits you on the other side of the underpass...


This is probably one of my favorite shots on this blog to date! The question, 'Did I do that?' always makes me feel like a kid again...



How can I show so many skyline shots on this site...Let me count the ways...

Approaching Washington Street...

Distracted driver...Don't hit me bro!!! This is the northwest corner of Washington and Rural.

2 comments:

Baz Mcm said...

The way you capture this city in your lens captivates me. Seriously. You catch the inside of the city without ever searching for the way out.

Some of the work is chilling. You find beauty in urbanism's shortcomings.

I'd love to see how you translate Indy's Mid Century Modernism.

Interested?

Cheers,

-Baz

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comments and compliments! A collection of Indianapolis' Mid Century Modern architecture would definitely be cool. Do you have any suggestions of where in the city where mid-century modern is really prevalent? A while ago, I worked for an electrical contractor whom was frequently involved rehabs of houses around the neighborhoods of Indianapolis, and work in several mid-century houses in the Meridian Hills. I also know of a few on the eastside, slightly east of Irvington...