Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A Night at the Murphy Art Center

I recently visited the Murphy Art Center in Fountain Square. It was an open night for the galleries that reside there. I try to come here at least twice a year because it is always an adventure. The galleries, businesses, and the common areas and are one of the coolest places and Indianapolis. Out of respect for the artists' creative property, I did not really shoot any of the art in the galleries, but took plenty of pictures of the environment and culture of the building.

Back entrance.



Old Stairwell



I love these kinds of things...Beautiful!



Really cool Christmas tree at the Alchemy Salon.



Directory for the first floor.


A bathroom on the second floor. Does this some how remind you of the Rolling Stone's 1968 album cover to Beggar's Banquet, or has my imagination run off too far?

Whatever happens, please don't do this to my cat...


I love all things electrical, you have old conduit, fixtures, wires, fuses, ect, I'll shoot them all.


Ditto.


Very cool.


The hallways and corridors to this place are awesome.





I knew it!


Flick the switch for the manga experience of a lifetime...

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Very cool building, but that bathroom is the stuff of nightmares.

Kevin said...

One of the best places in the city. If I ever have anyone visiting from out of town (especially a big city), I try to take them there (or at least to Fountain Square). I also love how some of the galleries on the upper floors have some remnants of the old theatre on their ceilings/door ways.

Downtown Indy said...

It still fascinates me how Mpozi continues to live on in the very medium he loved so much. There is something very metaphysical about that.