Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Indianapolis Neighborhoods - Sherman Drive and Brookside Pt. 1

Technically, some of these shots from this multi-part post are from the Brightwood-Martindale neighborhood as well, but I never crossed Massachusetts Ave into the actual neighborhood. The route I took was mainly an industrial one along old rail road tracks and bridges. I chose this route because that's what I wanted to shoot originally, but came back with more than I originally planned.


Sherman Dr. and Southeastern Ave.

Close up.

I would like to thank this establishment for providing me a place to park in this otherwise pedestrian unfriendly area. Don't know quite what the sign says, but the sign graphic and 'Bikini Shows' says enough, I guess.

This bridge is also on Sherman Drive, about half a mile south of Washington Street. Unlike the the other bridge, it doesn't have it's constructed year stamped on it, but it looks to be in it's accelerated years.

Ouch!


The concrete is showing it's age as well.


Not a very pretty site, but it still has a lot of charm.


I guess that's one way of immortalizing yourself.


Once you come out on the other side of the bridge, you are greeted with this.

Another side of the same building.

On the other side of the bridge; this is an interesting looking building.


Why hello furry little visitor; well OK, I was the visitor.
There are not many houses on this area of Sherman, but the ones that are there, look similar to this.
At a strip mall at E. Washington Street and Sherman Dr. Looks like it may have been an old theatre, possibly of the XXX persuasion, but who knows?
10th and Sherman. I love the mural, it complements the underpass well.

More coming soon...

2 comments:

Big Ed said...

That mall was a marsh and then a mercado.

Unknown said...

Big Ed, thanks for the historical information on the building! I based my guess on the empty signs that looked as if at one time, could have held movie posters, and that the windows looked as if they were covered up before the building was abandoned. That combined with the general seedy appearance of the building in general.