Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Indianapolis Architecture - Barrister Building / Indiana Parking Garage

Barrister building was built in 1925 and the Indiana Parking Garage was built in 1930. The Indiana Parking garage is unique in a few aspects. First of all, it is the oldest remaining parking garage of it's size. It is also the only parking garage in Indianapolis that has a certain degree of architectural significance, including windows. A parking garage with architectural distinctiveness, gee, what a concept.

Barrister Building and the Indiana Parking Garage from the City Market.


Barrister Building from the East.


4 comments:

CorrND said...

Wow, awesome! By complete coincidence, I was just on that block of Market on Sunday and snapped some pictures of things around there, including the Indiana Parking Garage. That is a VERY cool garage, if there is such a thing. I'm pretty sure I had never been on that block (between Penn and Delaware) on foot before and I was blown away by how many interesting architectural styles and interesting elements there are. I still haven't even uploaded the pictures to my computer but I hope to post a collection at some point.

And by the way, I love all the photos you've been posting, even if I don't comment on all the posts.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the compliment! I walk that stretch almost everyday and I really like it. It's not a vibrant lively street or anything like that (mostly banks and law offices), but it is a nice break from the Jail, CCB, and the bail bonds places that I also have to look at everyday. The garage has a lot of personality to it; including original tiles and my personal favorite, a nuclear fallout shelter sign. I wish that some of the garages around downtown would have followed their example.

thundermutt said...

Check out the Test Building, SW corner of Monument Circle and Market. It's a parking garage too:

http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/indianapolis/testbuilding.htm

Unknown said...

Wow! I guess I was asleep at the wheel when I said "the only parking garage"; luckily I was in a parking garage at the time ;). Thanks for that link, it was interesting and informative. It's pretty amazing as to how well the Test Building conceals its parking accommodations.