Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Forgotten....Revisited

A few months ago I featured a post that covered an area call Irish Hill. An abandoned area that has left much of its brick street preserved is separated from the city by I-65/70 to the west and the Pennsylvania Railroad Viaduct (the very same which the sewer sequestered Pogue's Run flows under) to the north. Where the last post explores the area at grade, this post covers it from the elevated rail line...

Oops, I won't tell if you don't...


The line splits here, one heads east, and the other takes a southeasterly route...


A news helicopter landing at the nearby heliport...


This is what the Indianapolis skyline looks like from one of those lovely blue overpasses...




I wonder if they could ever restore this place to something or a residential nature; it has a really cool feel...


I love rust...


Looking east...


They have been demolishing this place forever...Looking toward Shelby Street...


Looking over Davidson Street...
Looking over Shelby Street...
Got rid of the light blue, much better!

3 comments:

The Urbanophile said...

Nice series. I believe all of these rail lines are technically still active.

Trueblood said...

Just an FYI.

I know how you like to capture rust, decay, and the grittiness of cities. Have you ever caught the show "Life After People" on the History Channel? It shows how cities decay and get overtaken by nature over time without people maintaining them. It's pretty interesting.

Unknown said...

Urbanophile, there was a train that was starting to come along from downtown as I was departing the track when I came to a grade crossing not too far from State Street.

TrueBlood, I do like that series Life After People, especially when they shift from future projections to the 'already happened' segment. The midwest gets the dubious honor of getting featured regularly. This week, it was Detroit, which covered the ruins of the Packard complex. A few months ago, it was Gary, Indiana...