Monday, February 2, 2009

Urban Ubiquities - Fire Escapes

Fire escapes, one of the most common pieces of the urban landscape. Whether your fleeing the wrath of a raging inferno, or perhaps a hitman or a cop (or at least it plays out this way in the movies)...the fire escape has your back.

Court Street alleyway (Pennsylvania Street Access). This section is where the backs of buildings such as the McQuat Building, Victoria Centre, ect are located.






Court Street Alleyway (Delaware Street Access)

If your lucky enough escape the fire, lets hope your lucky enough to not slip and fall to your demise.






Barnes and Thornburg Building on Meridian Street

4 comments:

The Urbanophile said...

Super-cool. You don't always think of Indy and fire escapes in the same sentence.

Anonymous said...

Love the east side of the Barnes & Thornburg building. Got any shots of it from the near East side of Indy looking downtown? I call it the Georges Pompidou Center of Indianapolis.

Anonymous said...

For an urban playground we could find a five story high platform and drip water during subzero weather to make a giant icicle that people could climb with their mountain climbing gear.

Unknown said...

Urbanophile: When the idea of fire escapes came to me, I was a little dismissive of it at first; thinking that I would never gather enough material to put a meaningful collection together. I, however was pleasantly surprised.

Anonymous:

11:45. The closest thing I have is on my January 12th post, seventh photo down I believe, which has the top half crammed between the National City Center and The Conrad. I've always been a fan of the building in general; makes me feel like I'm in Chicago...Briefly anyway.

11:57 Interesting idea; sounds like a job for the No Promise of Safety guys :)