Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Scenes from the City-County Building Observation Deck

On the 28th floor of Indianapolis' City-County Building is a time machine to 1960's, know as it's observation deck... I took my 250mm lens up there for some shots of areas around downtown.

The service elevator drops you off here; the 26th floor. You then catch another elevator to the 28th floor.


It has probably looked this way since 1962, they year the building was constructed...


The industrial south east part of town; I am rather proud of this shot; I highly recommend you view this large on black. You may click the image to do so.


This another persepective of the shot featured yesterday...

Union Station, Lucas Oil, and the industrial beyond...

Looking down West Market Street...

The Wholesale District skyline...

Looking North torward the Old Northside...

3 comments:

Downtown Indy said...

Actually, they remodelled it 15-20 years ago, or thereabouts. I believe there's a sign or plaque indicating the year and a corporate sponsor that provided the funding.

What's the current policy for getting up there with a camera? You obviously get around that since you've said you work there.

The last time I entered with a camera I was rather unwelcome.

The night view is fabulous. They used to keep it open late the weekend before Christmas. I went up there in 2005:

Looking west

Looking southwest

Steph Mineart said...

Last time I tried to take my camera into the city-county building, they made me take it back to my car. :(

Unknown said...

Recording devices of any type are not permitted in the City-County building. Since I work in the building, I can bring a camera which, as you can see, I took advantage of. :)